It’s never too late (or too early) to develop a skincare routine designed to minimize the signs of aging that begin to appear in earnest in your 30s. There are dozens of products available to help minimize fine line and keep skin hydrated – the key is to create a regimen and stick to it.
Here are two recommend approaches – one for achieving line-free skin, the other for creating supple, hydrated skin. Each approach recommends brand name products that, when used together, will reveal measurable changes in the way your skin looks and feels.
- Retinol, a derivative of Vitamin A, is used to encourage cellular turnover and boost collagen. To minimize (or even prevent) fine lines and wrinkles, use a Retinol Serum at least three times a week. Retinoids can irritate the skin so start by using just a dab of serum for the entire face, three nights a week. Then increase the frequency as your skin adapts. For a product that is not harsh on the skin, try Le Roche-Posay® Redermic R Treatment. For more information on Retinol and Retinoids – click here.
- In the morning use an anti-aging moisturizer with sunscreen. Try Peter Thomas Roth® Retinol Fusion AM Moisturizer with SPF 30 – this multi-action daily essential features a potent concentration of time-released retinol to encourage skin’s renewal process with minimal irritation. With regular use, this moisturizer improves texture, evens skin tone, reduces fine lines and wrinkles, and visibly reduces pore size.
- At night use a heavy duty night cream like Estee Lauder® Advanced Time Zone Night Cream to replenish the skin and fight free radicals. The night is the best time to replenish your skin, so choose a quality product and use it every night.
Supple, Hydrated Skin
When oil production and cellular turnover slows down with age, you are left with dry, dull skin. The key to a more supple, hydrated skin is to exfoliate regularly so moisturizers and other nourishing products can actually penetrate the epidermis and do some good. Here is a formula for more supple, hydrated skin.
- Exfoliate on a daily basis with an exfoliating cleaner like Olay® Regenerist Advanced Anti-Aging Regenerating Cream Cleanser. This product contains gentle exfoliators in a creamy base that’s mild enough to use every day.
- Follow this with a morning moisturizer with a sunscreen. Daily use of a sunscreen is the single most important way you can protect your skin from aging. Try L’Oreal Paris® Ideal Moisture day lotion for a moisture boost – this product has glycerin and dimethicone to help lock in the moisture.
- At night try SkinCeuticals® Hydrating B5 Masque. This highly concentrated masque infuses dehydrated and stressed skin with optimal amounts of hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5 to replenish depleted moisture levels. Wear the masque for 15 minutes then massage the remainder into your skin for a rich night cream.
Sources: Health.com July 2013; SkinCeuticals.com