The first thing that usually comes to mind when someone is talking about hemp is that it’s an illegal substance that can make you high. In truth, the oil from the hemp that is used in cosmetic and skin care products does not contain the psychoactive THC ingredient and, therefore, it is neither illegal, nor will it get you buzzed.
What hemp oil does contain are EFAs (essential fatty acids) which naturally heal and soothe the skin. The two basic categories of EFAs are:
Omega-6 oils – these include linolenic and gamma-linolenic acid, an essential skin lipid that promotes regeneration at the cellular level – a process that slows down with age.
Omega-3 oils – these include alpha-linolenic acid which moisturizes and heals irritated skin and wounds.
Hemp’s Healthful Benefits
The EFAs in hemp are so closely aligned with our skin’s natural lipids, they not only act as an effective moisturizer for our skin, they provide other therapeutic benefits to the skin:
- Balances dry skin
- Heals skin lesions
- Acts as an anti-inflammatory
- Is a powerful antioxidant
- Rejuvenates and moisturizes skin
- Fights skin inflammation
- Softens skin
- Delivers beneficial vitamins and minerals to the skin
Taking hemp seed oil internally (remember, there is no THC within the hempseed) can also improve energy levels, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, hair and nail health, ease joint and arthritic pain. Hemp seed oil is also an effective and helpful treatment for the following skin conditions:
The Hemp Facial
At the beautiful and renowned Oasis Day Spa in lovely La Jolla, California, Ruth Swartzberg offers this amazing hemp facial treatment (these instructions are for Estheticians and skincare professionals):
- Add a few drops of hemp seed oil to cleanser – cleanse with an exfoliant while steaming.
- Remove cleanser and exfoliant – pat dry.
- Do extractions (optional).
- Apply an exfoliant such as glycolic acid, salicylic acid, pumpkin or microdermabrasion formula.
- Mix a few drops of hemp seed oil to hydrating facial mask – massage skin.
- Apply eye pad infused with hydrating cream or fresh cucumber juice.
- Massage hands.
- Remove hydrating mask.
- Lightly apply hemp seed oil on entire face, neck and chest.
- Pat dry excess with tissue.
- Apply moisturizer with SPF sun protection.
- Apply a few drops of hemp seek oil to palms of hands and finish treatment with a relaxing and invigorating five minute scalp massage.
Want to try this fabulous hemp facial, contact Oasis Day Spa or an Esthetician, MediSpa, or Clinic in your area.
DID YOU KNOW
All hemp and hemp bi-products are currently imported from Canada and China. To read more about the fascinating history and politics of hemp in the United States, visit www.LNEONLINE.com
- Lucious Lips: How to Avoid Chapped Lips (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Make Your Own Glycolic Peel at Home (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Boost Collagen With This Fabulous Kiwi Facial Cleaner (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Atopic Eczema (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Cream for Psoriasis: What are your options? (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Acne Care: Tips for Healthy Skin (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Turn Dry Skin Into Healthy Skin (healthyskinsolutions.com)