The desire to keep the skin youthful and healthy has never been limited to women. We all know that men also need to care for their skin, however, men traditionally rejected anything more complex than a good shave and perhaps a splash of aftershave. Today that trend is changing and men are discovering the benefits of a proper skincare routine and regular facials to maintain healthy skin, rejuvenate, tone and tighten. The result – the availability and sale of men’s skincare products has increased exponentially, and spas and clinics are adding men’s facial services to their menus to meet the demand.
Is Skincare for Men Different?
Besides having facial hair, there are some fundamental differences between men’s skin and a woman’s skin and so it makes sense that their skincare products and routines will be different. Here are the basic differences:
- Men have thicker skin than women do – in fact, it’s about 25% thicker and the texture is tougher. That’s due to Androgen hormone (testosterone) stimulation that causes an increase in skin thickness.
- Men have a higher concentrations of collagen women do – at any age. Because of diminishing collagen levels as we age (especially in women), it has been said a woman’s skin is clinically about 15 years older than a man’s of the same age.
- Sebum (oil) and its production are different. After puberty, oil production is greater in men than women – this is due to androgen secretions and it also accounts for why men have longer lasting acne than most women.
- Men are less savvy than women when it comes to UV protection and other means of nourishing the skin which probably cancels out the 15 year age differential – as soon as men start using sunscreen and moisturizers regularly – they are going to start looking ageless!
Facials and DIY Treatments for Men
Men prefer simple products and simple routines with fewer products. Given that, a simple routine at home comprised of a clean smelling foaming cleanser that also exfoliates the skin and a light moisturizing cream is an ideal basic strategy for most men. Exfoliating regularly removes dead skin cells and promotes cell turnover, while moisturizer helps lock moisture in to keep the skin supple.
Because men prefer simple (and fast) facials, many spas are offering treatments for men that require less than 40 minutes of down time. A basic spa facial is a great option for busy men who want to avoid long sessions – a basic facial includes:
- Natural Mask
- Tone and Moisturize
DIY Anti-Aging Facial From Menscience™
Still a little gun-shy about going to the spa to treat yourself and your skin? You can always try this simple anti-aging facial at home with great results, courtesy of MenScience™. Find a quiet, private place where you won’t be interrupted and allow 20 minutes. You will need:
- Cotton Balls
- Clean Towel
- MenScience Products listed below (click links to review or purchase if needed)
- 20 minutes of uninterrupted time
1. Saturate a cotton ball with MenScience Advanced Face Tonic and wipe the face for 30-60 seconds to remove dead skin cells and oily residue. Let tonic evaporate.
2. Use MenScience Microfine Face Scrub to lightly exfoliate dead skin cells and remove dull buildup. Massage the product into the skin using a circular motion for one to two minutes. Rinse well. Pat skin dry with clean towel.
3. Gently cover your face and neck with a generous amount of MenScience Facial Mask. Leave on for 5-10 minutes or until dry, then rinse thoroughly with cool water. Pat skin dry with clean towel.
4. Massage a small amount of MenScience Eye Rescue Formula into the area above and below the eyelids.
5. Use a small amount of MenScience Anti-Aging Formula on entire face to improve the appearance of fine lines.
6. Apply small amount of MenScience Advanced Face Lotion to face.
That’s it – done! Do this simple treatment just once a week and your skin will look like you spent a day at the spa.
There are dozens of simple home remedies and recipes you can make at home with simple ingredients like eggs, sugar, yoghurt etc. – these are not only cost effective – they really work. Find a recipe you like in our Home Remedies section and give it a try.