Exfoliating is an important part of any skincare routine, and having access to a good exfoliating brush is a necessity when it comes to getting a gorgeous glow. Using an exfoliating brush is very simple, and takes no more time than using your hands to wash your face or body.
Choosing the right exfoliating brush for you is dependent on what part of your body you will be using it on, as well as your skin type. There are exfoliating brushes for full-body use or for facial use. This article will help you choose the right exfoliating brush for you!
How Do Exfoliating Brushes Work?
Many people fear using an exfoliating brush because they are afraid it will damage their skin. However, that is the opposite of what it will do! Exfoliating brushes remove dead skin build-up and improve blood flow, revealing brighter, more supple skin. You can purchase an exfoliating brush for your body or your face with options for every budget, from as little as $10.
Using an exfoliating brush is easy and quick, and can fit into your daily routine without adding extra time. Some exfoliating brushes are electric, meaning that they vibrate or the brush will spin itself so there’s less work for you to do! Manual brushes are also a great option if you have sensitive skin. You can control the speed and pressure applied without irritating your skin. After a quick how-to, you’ll be a pro at exfoliating!
How to Use an Exfoliating Brush
Top 5 Exfoliating Brush Choices
The first step in using an exfoliating brush is choosing the right brush! Check out the following Top 5 brushes and descriptions to find the right brush for you:
- Clarisonic Mia2 – A little pricier, but can be used on the face or body. Available at ULTA Beauty.
- Clixit Face Brush – Budget-friendly product that compares with Clarisonic. This 2-speed rotary brush usually comes with a foaming cleanser. Available online at www.clixit.com
- Dermalogica Exfoliating Face Brush – This one isn’t electric, so it’s great for you to determine the speed that works for you.
- Clinique Sonic Exfoliating Brush – Clinique is a well-known skin care brand with many loyal users. Available at department stores.
The 6 Easy Steps to a Clearer Skin
1. After choosing the right exfoliating brush for you, you will need to wet the brush with warm water.
2. After wetting the brush, you can either apply your choice of cleanser on your skin or directly on the brush.
3. If your brush is electric, you will need to turn it on. Then, gently massage your skin in a circular motion to slough off dead skin. Continue massaging for 2-3 minutes.
4. Rinse your brush and your skin thoroughly.
5. Dry your skin and apply your choice of moisturizer.
6. Enjoy your radiant skin!
After the first few uses of your exfoliating brush, you might notice that your skin is a little drier than usual or that you are breaking out. Don’t worry, this is completely normal! The bristles on your brush are more abrasive than your hands, so it may take some time for your skin to adjust.
It is very important to remember to moisturize after using your brush and to avoid overusing your brush to keep your skin from drying out during the initial uses of your brush. Since the brush is wet when you use it and it comes into contact with dirt and oils on your skin, it can be very easy to accumulate bacteria in the bristles that will be spread back on your skin with each use.
Replacing your brush or brush head every three months along with never sharing your brush with another person will help prevent the spread of bacteria.
6 Tips for Best Results
- Avoid using your exfoliating brush more than two or three times per week to avoid stripping your skin of natural oils.
- Replace your brush or brush head every three months to keep bacteria from building up in the bristles.
- Choose a cleanser that suits your skin type.
- Make sure to moisturize after every exfoliating session.
- Never share your exfoliating brush with anyone, it’s a sure way to spread germs.
- If you purchase a brush that can be used on your whole body, use a different brush head for your face and other parts of your body to prevent the spread of bacteria.
Exfoliating brushes are a great addition to your skincare routine, especially if you suffer from a build-up of dead skin. Using an exfoliating brush will reveal brighter skin and improve blood flow to give your skin a supple appearance. For the best results, be sure to purchase a brush that suits your skin type and the area of your body you want to use it on and choose a cleanser that works well with your skin.
Make sure you don’t overuse your exfoliating brush so you aren’t stripping your skin of its natural oils. It is also important to be proactive in preventing the spread of bacteria by replacing the brush or brush head periodically. An exfoliating brush is a great tool to add to your daily routine to keep your skin looking and feeling great!