We know that collagen is responsible for firm, youthful skin. Collagen provides the strength our skin requires to remain firm. Elastin provides the skin with the ability to stretch and recoil. Together they give our skin that firm look and feel.
Starting in our mid 20s, the collagen in our body gradually depletes due to external factors such as sun exposure, smoking, excessive alcohol, pollutants and the aging process – yes, the slow decline of the quality and texture of the skin begins in our early 20s! Replacing or simulating collagen production as soon as possible will keep you looking younger, longer.
Perhaps you are no longer in your 20s – never mind, it’s never too late to start boosting collagen levels in the skin. There are a number of ways to replace or stimulate the production of collagen (see our article on Replacing Collagen) – and there are things you can do at home.
Below is a simple collagen boosting recipe that’s easy to make. It not only leaves the skin looking and feeling fabulous, over time, the kiwi can help minimize the appearance of enlarged pores.
- 1 Kiwi – peeled
- 2 tablespoons of plain Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil or Almond oil
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon finely ground Almonds
What to do
Puree the kiwi fruit in a food processor until liquefied. Add yoghurt, water, oil, and ground almonds and blend until the mixture is nice and creamy. Now it’s ready to use.
Massage the cleanser gently over the neck and face with clean fingertips for about 2 minutes – rinse well with water.
Why this works
Kiwis are rich in Vitamin C which helps boost collagen production – it also gently removes dead skin cells, helping to refine the texture of the skin. The kiwi seeds and the ground almonds make a gentle exfoliant while you cleanse. The honey and oil are humectants – they help to elevate the cleanser’s ability to penetrate the skin and increase its activity time. Humectants also help to keep the skin hydrated. Almond oil is particularly good because it’s rich in Vitamin E which has wonderful healing properties for the skin.
- Replacing Collagen (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Things That Affect the Skin (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- The Power of Peptide Creams (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Delaying the Signs of Aging (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Photo Facial – For Clearer, Brighter, More Radiant Skin (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Micro-Current Skin Rejuvenation (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Skin Rejuvenation (healthyskinsolutions.com)
- Microdermabrasion (healthyskinsolutions.com)
Dermascope January 2012: 29