An itchy, red condition of the scalp, seborrheic dermatitis is typically very treatable. However, finding the right treatment, in some cases, can prove to be a difficult task. The traditional shampoos and medications that are often recommended are sometimes more irritating than healing for some individuals. For those individuals and anyone looking for a less aggressive form of treatment, organic shampoo options can provide more soothing relief. If you’re struggling with a painful, itchy scalp, then consider this list of the best organic shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis.
1. Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo
One of the best organic shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis, Aveda is naturally derived from the components of healing flowers and plants. Not only that, but it is also free of parabens and sulfates – one of the components of traditional shampoos that can exacerbate the issue. Both the rosemary and mint in the shampoo work to naturally purify the skin and scalp. These components are also natural antibacterial agents, so they also function to prevent infection and eliminate any underlying source of irritation.
Benefits of Aveda Rosemary Mint Shampoo
- Safely and naturally heals dermatitis.
- Light, pleasant fragrance that won’t irritate.
- Safely and effectively clarifies the scalp.
- Safe enough to use every day (even after dermatitis is healed).
2. John Master’s Organic Zinc & Sage Shampoo
Certified organic, John Master’s is another great option for treating seborrheic dermatitis. The shampoo is sulfate and paraben free and is fortified with plant and flower extracts to make it extra nourishing. Not only that, but it also contains zinc and sage, which are natural scalp regulators that help restore the equilibrium of the scalp without overdrying it. This shampoo can be used on all hair types including color treated.
Benefits of John Master’s Shampoo
- Naturally restores scalp equilibrium of oils.
- Wheat protein leaves hair healthier and stronger.
- Prevents itching and flaking.
- Certified organic.
3. Acure Organics Moroccan Argan Stem Cell and Argan Oil Shampoo
Another shampoo topping the list as best organic shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis, Acure Organics uses all natural ingredients and is paraben, sulfate, and gluten free. This formula also includes natural fruit antioxidants that are healing to the scalp and hair. In addition to the antioxidants, the shampoo contains vitamin E and aloe vera for even more healing and nourishing. This option also provides an intensive repairing formulation with omega 3, 6, & 7 fatty acids to deliver superior care for your hair.
Benefits of Acure Organics
- Gently soothes and restores the scalp.
- Leaves hair shiny and soft.
- Repairs damage with organic argan oil and stem cell leaves.
- Repairs hair and scalp damage while building volume.
4. Rahua Shampoo
As decadent and luxurious as the name even sounds, Rahua Shampoo is made with 100 percent natural ingredients. It is gluten, paraben, and sulfate free and includes a variety of components designed to soothe and restore the scalp. The natural sea salt in the formula helps restore pH levels of the scalp and hair to reduce inflammation and scaling, and the green tea delivers natural antioxidants that are also healing and nourishing. In addition to these components, the formula contains enriching Rahua oil that penetrates deeply into the hair shaft and follicle to restore moisture naturally.
Benefits of Rahua Shampoo
- Entirely natural shampoo formulation.
- Gently cleanses hair and scalp.
- Enriched with key ingredients to restore hair and scalp health.
- Safely and effectively restores damaged hair.
- Safe enough for color treated hair.
5. Malibu C Scalp and Wellness Kit Shampoo
Completely vegan, gluten free, and paraben and sulfate free, Malibu C is another one of the best organic shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis. Not only is it extremely nourishing and naturally derived, but it is also specially formulated to restore and maintain the health of the scalp. This formulation contains no irritating ingredients and is formulated with soothing spearmint and eucalyptus oils to naturally cleans and soothe the scalp. It also contains components that function to protect the hair and scalp from waterborne compounds that can exacerbate scalp conditions.
Benefits of Malibu C Shampoo
- Specifically designed to support scalp health.
- Lightly fragranced with soothing essential oils.
- Safely and effectively protects scalp and hair.
- Reduces flaking, itching, and irritation.
6. Phat 5.5 Seborrheic Dermatitis Shampoo
Specifically designed for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis, the Phat 5.5 Manuka Honey shampoo is an ideal option for managing the condition. It is a natural formula that is paraben, fragrance, and sulfate free to reduce irritation. The shampoo is naturally pH balanced at 5.5, just like the scalp, hair, and skin, to help restore imbalances in your pH level that may be contributing to the skin condition. It also contains healing components like Manuka honey, aloe vera, and coconut oil to nourish and restore the skin.
Benefits of Phat 5.5 Seborrheic Dermatitis Shampoo
- Naturally and organically derived.
- Safe for hair, scalp, and face.
- pH balanced with all natural ingredients.
7. Puriya Natural Dandruff Shampoo with Tea Tree Oil
Most individuals report noticing a difference with this shampoo in just a few treatments. Phat 5.5 Manuka Honey shampoo is specifically designed to stop itching and flaking without any harsh chemicals. Made with a proprietary blend of tea tree oil, arnica, sage, and rosemary, this shampoo delivers potent antifungal and antibacterial properties that provide lasting relief. It also contains vitamin B and wheat protein to strengthen and repair hair as well.
Benefits of Puriya Natural Dandruff Shampoo
- Specially formulated to treat itchy, flaking scalp.
- Naturally derived ingredients.
- 180 day money back guarantee.
8. Tea Tree Oil
An oil that can be added to any shampoo or diluted with coconut oil and applied to the scalp, tea tree oil is effective for treating a number of different skin conditions, including seborrheic dermatitis. The oil is antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory, so it’s a perfect option for remedying dermatitis. You do, however, need dilute it before use as it is quite potent.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil
- Effectively treats seborrheic dermatitis.
- Extremely versatile to use with different shampoo options.
- Very potent if used undiluted.
Seborrheic dermatitis is a very treatable condition; however, many of the traditional treatments cause more harm to sensitive scalps than good. Choose one of the best organic shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis to get a safe, effective treatment option.