Should men use different products on their skin? What about their skincare routine – should it be different? Well, yes, when you consider the differences between a man’s skin and a woman’s skin.
- A man’s skin is thicker – both the dermis and epidermis is thicker
- A man’s skin is more sensitive
- Men produce more sebum (oil)
- Men have larger pores
- A man’s pH is more acidic
- Men tend to get deeper facial lines and more of them
- Men deal with more skin issues on the face than women because of daily shaving, like ingrown hairs, dryness and razor burn
Products created specifically for men are more effective because they are formulated for their needs. For example, products containing acetylsalicylic acid can reduce the curvature of the hair to eliminate ingrown hairs and decrease irritation and sensitivity from shaving.
What’s more, because testosterone stimulates the production of sebum and toughens the hair in the follicle, products designed for men will be formulated to treat the sebum, hair and sensitivity issues in order to be effective.
Then there is the thicker epidermis and lower pH level to deal with. Products with ingredients such as rice wine, natural phenal, tea extract, tea tree oil and salicylic acid work well with a man’s skin to moisturize, detoxify, regenerate and reduce ingrown hairs, excess oil and skin cell build up.
There is a growing caché of quality men’s products formulated to address their needs. Murad has a line of products for men designed to be quick and easy to use while delivering results at the same time.
- Murad Cleansing Shave – A patented antioxidant-rich cleansing formula designed to deliver a closer, smoother, more comfortable shave. Features Murad’s exclusive Beard Softening Complex® and Mushroom Enzyme exfoliants to uncover stubborn facial hairs and prepare skin for a superior shave.
- Razor Burn Rescue® – this fights razor burn, shaving irritation, razor bumps and ingrown hairs by infusing skin with a unique blend of healing antioxidants and redness reducing anti-inflammatories while Glycolic Acid clears irritating dead skin and debris from hair follicles.
- Face Defense SPF® 15 – this lightweight, oil-free formula infuses skin with shine-free moisture to hydrate the skin while broad spectrum sunscreens and antioxidants protect the skin from UVA/UVB damage. This quickly absorbing lotion features patented Skin Repair System to help restore elasticity to environmentally stressed skin.
Glymed Plus also creates a simple line of facial products for men that are quick and easy to use, 100% natural and masculine. GlyMed Plus For Men incorporates a perfect balance of lipids and hydration to help the unique characteristics of men’s skin look and act younger.
Finally, statistically, only about one third of men will use a sunscreen effectively, if at all. Almost half of all men do not wear sunscreen at all and the rest use it inadequately, thereby diminishing its efficacy. Protecting the skin from the sun is the first line of defense against aging and other damage. Ti02 Sunblock for Men, by Menscience Androceuticals, provides broad spectrum protection (UVA/UVB) from the sun’s rays, is waterproof, ultralight and non-greasy. It uses titanium dioxide and advanced ingredients to help protect and moisturize skin and the invisible, matte formula absorbs immediately and won’t run into eyes.