Old World Beauty Secrets that Work!
Every country and every region has its own beauty tips and secrets. Often these involve natural, local ingredients and recipes that are steeped in folk lore. What’s interesting is, even though many of these are simple recipes, made from simple, natural ingredients, they are almost always very effective.
We began our series on old world beauty secrets with tips from Poland, Greece and Ireland – now we continue our journey with more old-world secrets from Bali and Japan.
Papaya-Pumpkin Mask from Bali:
In the many exotic locations of Asia, it is common to find a spa that uses fresh fruit for an effective enzyme mask. This easy to make Papaya-Pumpkin Mask from Bali will leave your skin gently exfoliated, fresh and glowing. All you need is the following:
- 2/3 cup ripe fresh papaya
- 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
- 1 egg, beaten until frothy
Remove the seeds from the papaya and mash the fruit. Add the beaten egg, the canned pumpkin and whip or blend in a blender until smooth.
Apply the mask to clean face, taking care to avoid the eye area.
Leave on skin for 10 minutes. You will feel a slight tingling sensation as the enzymes in the pumpkin and the papaya gently exfoliate the top layer of skin, removing dead skin cells and revealing glowing skin. Rinse with tepid water and follow with a moisturizer.
Why this Works:
- Papaya contains chemicals known as beta hydroxy acids. These act as exfoliants, removing the top layers of the skin. Papaya also clears away dirt and oils that contribute to acne flare-ups.
- Pumpkin is rich in vitamin A which helps to slough pore-clogging dead skin cells. The zinc in pumpkin is also beneficial to retaining clear skin.
- Eggs have been used as beauty treatment in Asia for millennia. Eggs firm the skin, narrow enlarged pores, reduce redness and inflammation, and stop breakouts.
Japanese Remedy for Flawless Skin and Stretch Marks
In old-world Japan, Geishas were known for their flawless complexions. The secret of these Japanese beauties is white camellia nut oil that has been used for centuries in Asia. This nourishing light oil is rich in plant collagen and easily absorbed, leaving the skin moisturized, conditioned, nourished and supple. It is one of the quickest-absorbing oils around and its high antioxidant content is unequalled. What Camellia oil does:
- Moisturizes – it penetrates quickly and deeply, giving your skin optimum hydration without a greasy feel. Your skin will feel remarkably refreshed, smooth and firm.
- Replenishes – it increases skin resilience, giving your skin a supple and radiant glow you can see and feel. It gives your skin a luminous silkiness.
- Restores – it visibly diminishes fine lines and pitted acne scarring, and reduces the appearance of enlarged pores.
- Protects – it contains Vitamins A, B, C, E and Polyphenol, natural antioxidants that safeguard your skin from the damaging effects of UV/environmental exposure and free radicals.
- Prevents Stretch Marks – perhaps one of the best kept secrets – it prevents stretch marks! This old-world beauty secret of all Asian women is now a natural remedy that even high-profile celebrities like Victoria Beckham swear by. Simply apply the oil to skin at night, massage in a circular motion until completely absorbed, and let nature do its work.
As with all natural recipes and remedies, if you have sensitive skin, text the mixture on your wrist before using to test for allergic reaction.